© Collingbourne Ducis Parish Council 2018
Minutes of the Annual Parish Meeting 10th May 2018
MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING HELD AT COLLINGBOURNE SCHOOL ON THURSDAY 10 MAY 2018 AT 7.00 PM Present:  P Knowlson (Chairman), L Gomes, T Greenwood, P Hartley, Ms C Malley (Collingbourne School), Mr D Paterson (Chair, Collingbourne Ducis Village Hall Trust, Mr G Hooper (Collingbournes, Chutes & Everleigh Link Scheme) 4 members of the public, and Mr P Gill (Clerk), Apologies for absence:   Cllrs R Haverson and D Dennis, Wilts Cllr I Blair-Pilling and PC L Wileman (Wiltshire Constabulary),  1.  Annual Report of the Parish Council.  Cllr P Knowlson, Chair, presented the following report:   Welcome to everyone.  The council remains in a good financial position, more details to follow from The Clerk later.  Firstly, with this being my first year as chair of the Parish Council, I would like to thank the Cllrs and our Parish Clerk for their help and guidance over this time.  I would also like to thank the villagers who have also supported events throughout the year.  I hope that we will soon be able to fill the remaining spaces held on the council to help us achieve greater things going forward. This year we have held two village litter picks which have been a good success although we were hindered with the weather and re-scheduling of this year's spring litter pick.  In conjunction with the continued good work of our landscape contractors, the village continues to be well presented.  We are also now starting to utilise the service provided by the WCC Parish Steward and provide him with a list of small jobs that are required around the village.  Hopefully this relationship will continue to improve so as a village we get the most out of these services.  We continue to have a large volume of traffic passing through the village along the A338 especially heavy goods vehicles; this has been an ongoing issue for some time.  Having had various questions asked about the likelihood of having the road declassified as a main trunk route, this would appear unlikely to happen.  However, the council will be drafting a letter to our local MP & WCC to raise our concerns again and maybe look to join up our concerns with other villages along the A338 route.  The Council agreed to purchase some village gates to be located on the various entrances / exit to the village.  This piece of work is currently incomplete but will now be given a high priority to progress this further.  It has been agreed that the village should have a second defibrillator which will be located at the village hall, the order for this will shortly be progressed and we should see this in place within the next 10-12 weeks.  We held the 3rd Christmas Village Brunch in December which despite the horrendous weather was a great success.  I would like to thank all of the people and local businesses again who donated to this event.  I hope that the new council will continue the efforts and run the event again for this year. Finally we have been looking at the condition of the footpath alongside the River Bourne going through the village, in places it is in need of repair.  We have recently been in discussion with WCC who have obtained a quote for the repair and relaying of this footpath which is a considerable sum in the region of £16k.  The council will now need to decide on how best to progress this. In response to a question from a member of the public the Chairman agreed that Cllr T Greenwood would investigate the replacement of the dead tress in the Memorial Orchard.  In response to a question from another member of the public the Chairman agreed that Cllr T Greenwood would task the Parish Steward to look at clearing the vegetation that was creeping onto the footpath running from the Knapp down to Everleigh Road.  He also outlined the process for reporting issues to Wilts Council.  In response to a question from the same member of the public the Chairman agreed that the Parish Council would investigate the provision of a bus stop at the Tidworth Road/ Everleigh Road Bus stop. 2.  Summary of the Council’s financial performance for the year ended 31 March 2018. The Clerk presented the following summary:  The Parish Council’s financial reserves for FY 17/18 at £31,195 were £6,437 higher than last year which was mainly due to the £4k budgeted for the highways and footpaths was not used and the grounds maintenance fees were £1,731 lower.  The Council is aware that this is the second year running that the £4K has gone unspent and it intends to spend it on a project in this FY.  The total expenditure was £18,051 against a budget of £26,510 mainly due the 4k and £1,731 already mentioned plus a serious of other lesser undespends.  Income was £24,488 against a budget £24,535.  Furthermore, reserves now stand at £31,195 against £24,758 for FY 16/17 of which £4K is earmarked for spending on a Village Entry Gates Project in FY 18/19 with another £4K earmarked for other smaller projects in FY 18/19 or FY 19/20.  It is again the Parish Council's intention to consider formally setting reserves level at 50-100% of the Precept e.g. £10,10,748-£21,496 for FY 18/19 (£13,376 in FY 17/18) to be reviewed annually at the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council taking into account any future projects. There were no questions from those present.  3.  Head Teacher's Report from Collingbourne C E Primary School.  C Malley presented the following report on behalf of the Head Teacher.  The 2017/18 academic year has been a year of great change at Collingbourne School. A new Headteacher was appointed in September and a school development plan was immediately established to address key areas for improvement. This plan focussed mainly upon improving attainment outcomes in Reading and Writing. Other key sections of the plan focussed upon improving the school environment and establishing a highly skilled and effective leadership structure.  Our now famous ‘Glitterball’ event raised over £6000! This was a brilliant evening and the proceeds raised allowed the school to purchase a brand new reading scheme.  We were also able to hire 2 professional Shakespearean actors to spend an entire week with the school: The culmination of Shakespeare week will be a performance of ‘Macbeth’ with every child having a speaking role!  The school has worked hard to improve communication with parents and the wider community.  Teachers now blog photographs of what the children have been up to each day directly to parents’ Smartphones.  This has helped families become more involved in the day to day learning of their children.  Traditional events such as ‘Bun and Penny’, ‘Pancake Racing’ and the ‘Carol Service’ have continued their long- established success.  These events help the school maintain its traditional Christian roots at the heart of village life. Along with a new Headteacher, Collingbourne has a new look governing body.  In January Peter McGuigan OBE was appointed as the new Chair of Governors.  Peter is a National Lead Governor who will help ensure the leadership of the school is of the highest quality.  Children’s happiness and wellbeing is always our biggest priority.  Since September we have introduced an increased ELSA programme at school. This is a counselling and support service that encourages children to talk about the challenges they face and provides strategies to help overcome them. Our children also benefit from Yoga and relaxation sessions that help them to remain calm and able to learn. We even provide a Yoga club for our brilliant staff!  Next year the school has more exciting changes to look forward to. In fact, over the summer holidays we are having some fantastic new play equipment fitted and our Reception classroom is also being refurbished. This is an exciting time for the school: If you would like to become more involved with us as a volunteer, a governor or you can offer some area of expertise then we would love to hear from you. The Chairman thanked the Head Teacher for his report. 4.  Report from Wiltshire Cllr Blair-Pilling.  Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling reported the following by email: Here is a report of my first year as your Wiltshire councillor. Fortuitously, Jane Scott and her Cabinet have produced a comprehensive report covering all their responsibilities.  There is much to commend in it.  Please feel free to ask me for clarification or follow up on any aspects.  For me, it has been a busy, fascinating and enjoyable year.  I am a member of Tidworth Area board, and its associated groups (Neighbourhood Police Tasking, Community Area Transport, Health and Well Being, Multi Agency Forum (schools) and the Area Community Partnership).  This is where we address local priorities and inform and work with our local communities. I am on the Eastern Area Planning Committee and the School Transport Appeals Panel and on the subs bench for the Strategic Planning and Audit Committees.  I have also joined the rejuvenated Civilian Military Integration Task Group and am on the Committee representing the Council in the Electoral Review that is in process and will shape how you are represented in Wiltshire from 2021.  You may want to get involved soon. With no cabinet or portfolio responsibilities I can be involved in scrutiny, where members work with the Cabinet as their critical friend to help shape and refine policies and plans.  In the Overview and Management Scrutiny Committee we help set and monitor the work of the other 3 subject specific select committees and directly focus on the Council’s key policies and overall business plan including the budget. As a member of the Environmental Select Committee I help scrutinise the work of the departments for Transport, Environment & Leisure and Economic Development, Planning & Housing (i.e. leisure, waste, housing, transport, highways and economic development).  It’s wide, and our villages’ interests come into most of it.  Beyond my Councillor duties I have also been taken on as a Governor of Wellington Academy.  So, I have now seen and experienced a fair chunk of what goes on.  I am hugely impressed with the competence of the Council and particularly the expertise and helpfulness of every officer I have done business with. I appreciate that you could ask ‘what does this do for us in the villages?’.  For me it is all part of getting stuck in and making sure that our particular needs and concerns get a fair crack.  Much is changing, there are tough financial calls to be made, and I want to make sure we are not simply left to complain after the event. It is my view that, rather than whinge and salami slice our services, Wiltshire Council has hit it head on and got on with a comprehensive programme to modernise, rationalise and focus on its key service responsibilities, to encourage and support business so that the financial pot is as large as possible and to encourage and support communities (in all their forms) to stand on their own feet and make their own local decisions.  There has been much innovation and many other authorities are looking over the fence at Wiltshire.  Perhaps the most satisfying aspect is the individual case work, be-it helping with a planning or enforcement issue, roads and byways, or a welfare matter in which I include the School Transport Appeal panel. Officers have to work within the Council’s policies and their budgets, but there are times when we Councillors can intervene and help get through some of the inevitable anomalies.  I have particularly enjoyed working with all our Parish Councils and hope that together we can achieve even more for our communities in the coming 3 years. Thank you for your support and my best regards. The Chairman thanked Wilts Cllr Blair-Pilling for his report. 5.   Report from Wiltshire Constabulary. PC L Wileman presented the following report by email; Another year has passed, one major loss is Maria leaving. I was advised last week that her replacement is currently in training at Headquarters and will be with us within the next few months. Criminal Damage 29 th  March  Ludgershall Road.  Damage to motor vehicle by unknown offender, vehicle parked outside owner’s home address. 23 rd  April Westhill Farm.  Unknown suspects have driven round the reporting person’s field ruining freshly planted crops. 23 rd  May  Ludgershall Road.  Substance that smells like vinegar poured through letter box which has saturated the post and has damaged the metal covering on the letter box.   29 th  June  Cadley Road.  Unknown suspect has fired a catapult, causing a large indentation to windscreen. 25 th  July  Church Farm. Unknown person has smashed all the windows on a caravan. 01 st   August  Ludgershall Road. Unknown suspect has hit the wing mirror off a car by unknown method. The vehicle was parked on a residential street. 11 th  October  Westhill Farm.  Unknown suspects have driven across 5 fields and cut barbed wire in order to gain access to another field in order to Hare course. 15 th  October  Westhill Farm.  Unknown suspects have stolen the spare alloy wheel from a vehicle. It is stored under the seat and was connected by a cable. The cable has been cut and the wheel has been removed. 2 nd  November  Chicks Lane.  Unknown suspect has smashed rear offside window of a vehicle whilst parked on remote lane for dog walking. Empty handbag taken from rear seat 7 th  November  High Street.  Victim has woken to discover that unknown suspect(s) have stolen vehicle parked on his driveway.  25 th  April  Ludgershall Road.  Unknown male was preventing a delivery driver from parking and has damaged the delivery drivers scanner after a confrontation Drugs 31st December C. Ducis.  Vehicle stopped , cannabis was located on the passenger seat. Burglary 04 th  January  Highlands Farm.  Unknown suspects have forced open a shed. Once inside suspects have stolen five items of Stihl machinery. Theft 5 th  January Highlands Farm.  Unknown suspect using instrument have taken property from rear garden. Assault 14 th  January Ducis Village Hall.  Unknown suspect did not have control of their dog and it has bitten the injured person on the bottom not breaking the skin but causing nasty bite marks Target Patrols Church Farm – Due to incidents of criminal damage at the farm, a target patrol commenced on 24 th  July. The patrols remained in place till 18 th  August. In total 15 patrols were actioned and no further issues were reported. The Chairman thanked PC L Wileman for her report and for the police support that is provided to the village.  However, he noted that there were a number of crimes that had taken placed but had not been included in this report and expressed his disappointment that no one was available to attend this important meeting as it one of the very few opportunities for the public to ask questions of their local police and where necessary hold them to account.  A member of the public requested that the Chairman write tom the Police and Crime Commissioner for Wiltshire expressing concern their concern that no one was available to attend this meeting and the lack of a visible police presence in and around the village.  The Chairman agree to write to the Commissioner 6.  Report from the Collingbournes Chute & Everleigh Link Scheme.  Mr Hooper Chairman Collingbournes, Chute and Everleigh LINK Scheme presented the following report: Our local Link Scheme continues to help the people of our parishes whenever they need some neighbourly assistance to travel to the doctor, the hospital, or the local shops. Although we are one of the smaller Link Schemes, with an average of four journeys a week throughout the year, our drivers are always ready to help.  ln fact, being here in a rural location we may have a smaller population to serve than towns such as Marlborough, Amesbury or Devizes, but our public transport is less available and to that extent we are potentially even more in demand. Our drivers are the backbone of our service, and we are always looking for new people who could spare a few hours once or twice a month, to join us.  It is not only a really good way to contribute just a little to our village life, it is a great way to help some of the nicest people.  To give a lift to someone who needs to go somewhere special usually takes no more than an hour or two, and the car's petrol expenses are repaid.  Our existing drivers are all, inevitably, getting older, so if any younger  person has the time to spare, and has a caring nature, we would love to hear from him or her.  Over the past year the number of Link trips made by Collingbourne Ducis residents has declined somewhat, and this may mean that many of the new people moving into the village are younger, or healthier, but it may also mean that they do not know we are here, and we can help if needed. The telephone number for Link is always published in The Courier and there have been several articles published about Link, but we are here as a service to your parishioners and I would appreciate your mentioning Link if you know of anyone who needs assistance. Also if you know of any possible drivers, why not encourage them to call us too?  I would like to thank you for your support of Link during the past year, and we look forward to doing all we can over the next twelve months, to support you and the good people of Collingbourne Ducis. The Chairman thanked Mr Hooper for his report. 7.  Report and Statement of Accounts from Collingbourne Ducis Village Hall Trust.  Mr D Paterson Chairman of the Collingbourne Ducis Village Trust reported that the Village Hall has continued in its role as the community and social hub of the village, throughout 2017/2018.  During the year we have provided facilities on a daily basis for the school and Dragonflies Nursery, we  have welcomed the new Head Teacher and Chair of the nursery and the Parish Council representative, all of whom are valuable members of the Management Committee.  Outstanding events of the year have included weddings, parties, the Glitter Ball, the Christmas Brunch, cricket tournaments, Rural Arts productions, family celebrations, sporting competitions, school functions, Film Place and many other events.  The whole committee contribute a great deal of time and energy to the Hall, sharing in its success.  We are particularly looking forward to the Collingbourne Beer Fest in June.  Financially, the accounts remain in a healthy state, these are presented annually to the Council (see  extract at end of report) and Charity Commissioners.  We have received a grant from the Tidworth Area Board towards re-decorating the main hall and replacing the curtains. We are very grateful to the Area Board for their continuing support.  We have a number of projects in mind, all of which will require substantial funding. These include adding an extension for additional storage, refurbishment of the tennis court, the next phase of our re-decoration programme, replacement of lighting and the installation of a projector and full-size screen.  These will be included in our financial plans for the coming years.  Maintenance of a multi-purpose, community building requires a great deal of time and expense.  Much of this is done on a voluntary basis, by committee members. Regulatory Inspections have been undertaken for electrics, boiler and  fire prevention. We have a new fire safety document, linked to the school which has been approved by the Dorset and Wiltshire Fire Service Linked smoke alarms have been installed as result of this.  We look forward to continuing to work with the Council in the coming year, the strength of our village community lies in how we are able to cooperate and support each other. The Chairman thanked Mr Paterson for his report. 8.  Written Resolutions. There being no resolutions to consider the Chairman thanked the speakers and those in attendance and closed the meeting at 7.55.pm   Signed…......................................... P Knowlson     Date......................