© Collingbourne Ducis Parish Council 2017
Minutes of Meeting 9th March 2017
In Attendance: Mr P Gill (Clerk), Wilts Cllr C Howard and 2 Members of the Public. 1. Apologies: Cllr Dennis, Cllr Gomes, Cllrs M Fordham & A Fordham. 2. Absent:  None 3. Chairman’s announcements: The Chairman drew attention to or spoke on the following; That a Member of the Public has asked him why there was no Remembrance Wreath laid at the Village Memorial.  The Chairman had explained that as this year the Remembrance Service had been held at Collingbourne Kingston the Wreath was laid there.  The Chairman suggested that in future a Wreath be laid at the Village Memorial no matter in which Village the Remembrance Service is held to which the Cllrs agreed. Individual Nomination Papers for the 4 May 17 PC Elections need to be submitted by 4 Apr 17. The Village Litter Pick was the most successful in recent history and was very well supported across the village and by all age groups.  Well done to Cllr Knowlson for organising it and to everyone who took part. 1. 63.16   Minutes of the last meeting.  The minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on 5 January 2017 having been previously circulated were agreed as a true record.  Proposed by Cllr Haverson seconded by Cllr Knowlson              Agreed nem con 64.16   Matters arising.  None that do not appear on the agenda. 1. 65.16 Declarations of Interest and dispensation requests:  None declared. 1. 66.16  Co-Options.  As no applications had been received for co-option, there remains one vacancy on the Council.   1. 67.16  Policing Issues.  PC Wileman sent a report by email a summary of which follows:  As many of you may have seen in the news over recent months, a number of police services nationwide have invested in body worn video cameras. Wiltshire Police is currently conducting a trial of this technology and will, further to evaluation, look to roll it out to frontline officers and staff over spring and summer. The technology has had proven benefits in other forces and we are confident that it will help us bring offenders to justice and serve our communities more effectively and efficiently. Body worn cameras are as much about the people behind the lens as they are the people in front of the lens and they will help us to further improve openness and transparency as well as upholding the high standard of service we always aim to deliver.  Throughout March, you may notice Wiltshire Police taking a more in-depth look at equality, diversity and inclusion. At a recent conference for the South West Black Police Association, hosted at Police HQ in Devizes, Chief Constable Mike Veale discussed the importance of recognising and celebrating difference. Having a diverse organisation not only makes the police service more representative of the communities it serves, but also culturally richer and more receptive to different perspectives. We encourage you to keep an eye on our Wiltshire Police social media accounts as we offer an insight about this very important aspect of policing during March.  In addition we will be supporting a national campaign to raise awareness of the dangers of using a mobile phone while driving and to highlight the changes in legislation that come into effect in March.  Thank you for your continued support to Wiltshire Police. Please follow us on:  Twitter https://twitter.com/wiltshirepolice  Facebook https://www.facebook.com/wiltshirepolice/ Or sign up to Community Messaging https://www.wiltsmessaging.co.uk Current Priorities, Targeted Patrols: Castle Practice – Complaints of ASB. Patrols commenced on 25th January. 10 patrols so far. Adult male located  22nd February and asked to move on. Male still being monitored by CPT. Empress Way – Complaints of ASB. Patrols commenced on 20th January. 12 patrols so far. Patrol being reviewed as complaints have stopped. Collingbourne Kingston – Complaints of speeding outside the Old School House. Commenced on 20th January. 8 patrols so far, 20th January 1 fixed penalty notice issued.  17th February, 15 people given words of advice and 7 fixed penalty notices issued. There have been no occurrences reported in Collingbourne Ducis. 1. 68.16 Adjournment for public comments/questions: 7.15pm A Member of the Public from Saunders Meadows asked if the Street Lighting times could be reviewed.  The Chair replied by asking the Member of the Public to gather support from other residents and present it to the Clerk for sending it to Wilts Council for consideration.  Another member of the Public asked about the process regarding the trimming of trees.  The Chairman signposted him to Planning Portal on the Wilts County website. Wilts Council C Howard presented his final report as a Wilts County Cllr a summary of which follows:  General County Matters. Council Tax – The increase this year in the Wiltshire Council element of the Council Tax that we all pay was 4.99%.  Of this, 3% was an increase in the Social Care Levy and comes on top of an increase of 2% in the Social Care Levy in 2015/16. The cost of providing care, in particular adult social care in the community is a liability that continues to increase at a high rate; well above inflation and the Council has no option but to raise the necessary funding from council tax payers The increase in Council Tax excluding the Social Care Levy is 1.99%.  Part of the reason for this is that the Government’s Settlement Funding Allocation to Wiltshire Council in the coming year has been reduced from £86.7 million to £72.3 million, and further reductions are in the pipeline for the next three years until the Settlement Funding is reduced to nil.  Against this, Business Rates are at present collected by the Government and then passed back to local authorities in the form of Settlement Funding. The Government is changing the system over the next three years so that local authorities are to be allowed to retain a proportion of the Business Rates that they collect.  But, the Government will still be able to control the amount that Wiltshire receives back by allocating more funding to parts of the country with high levels of deprivation.  Further information about this year’s budget can be viewed on the document Hot Wire dated 21st February which accompanies this report. In general, the past year has been one of steady progress for Wiltshire Council, and the report presented by the Leader of Wiltshire Council, Baroness Jane Scott, at the meeting of the Council on 21st February  to approve the Budget gives a great deal of information.  To read the speech, go to www.wiltshire.gov.uk/news/articles/2017-budget-speech . On a personal note, I continue as a member of three committees of Wiltshire Council.  I am chairman of the Eastern Area Planning Committee, a member of the Strategic Planning Committee and Chairman of the Wiltshire Pension Fund Investment Committee.  I am also a Governor of The Wellington Academy. Local Matters.  The past year has again been a busy one, with many local issues in which I have been involved.  At last we have confirmation that the major repairs to the A338 through the village are to start in the first week of May. This will mark the end of a long campaign by me to get this work done, and although it will lead to much unavoidable disruption during the works, I am sure that it will lead to a substantial reduction in noise levels for those who live by that road.  It has been a pleasure working with the Parish Council during the past year.  The Election for members of Wiltshire Council for the next four years will be on 4th May, and I will not be standing for re-election. I have enjoyed being your Wiltshire Councillor for the past eight years, but feel that the time has come to stand down. The Chairman thanked Wilts Cllr Howard for the exemplary support he has provided to the Village during his time in office. The meeting reconvened at 7.30pm 1. 69.16  Finance Report:   The Clerk had presented and circulated the Income and Expenditure report along with Bank Reconciliations produced from the accounts package and the latest bank statements, which the Cllrs accepted. Proposed by Cllr Cockerton seconded by Cllr Haverson Agreed nem con. The following cheques were noted and/or presented for authorisation as per approved contracts or IAW  Standing Orders: 1589 Bawden Ltd (Grass Cutting& Bin Emptying 30 Dec 16) £548.76 (VAT £91.46) 1590 K Cockerton (Remembrance Wreath) £25.00 1591  P Gill (Stamps) £19.80 1592 K Cockerton (Xmas Brunch Expenditure 10 Dec 16) £675.70 (VAT £23.97) 1593 Mr P Gill (Salary & Expenses Feb 17) £358.93 1594 HM Revenue & Customs (PAYE& NI Feb 17) £89.80 1596 Bawden Ltd (Grass Cutting& Bin Emptying Jan 17) £697.92 (VAT £116.32) 1597 JRC Cleaning Svcs (bus Shelters 14 Feb 17) £28.00 (VAT £4.67) 1598  Bawden Ltd (Grass Cutting& Bin Emptying  28 Feb 17) £697.92(VAT £116.32) 1599 Mr P Gill (Salary & Expenses Mar 7 17) £359.13 1600 HM Revenue & Customs (PAYE & NI 7 Mar 17) £89.60 Proposed by Cllr Haverson seconded by Cllr Smith Agreed nem con Lighting Scheme Proposal.  The Clerk reported that the costs to the Council to date of the trial lighting scheme of footpath in the area of Collingbourne School and leading to the village hall are £89.42.   Whilst the Cllrs were content for the trial to continue for another 3 months they were however concerned about the negative impact of the extra lighting on some of the residents of Gilberts Piece and directed Cllr Cockerton to review the on/off times inured to reduce the impact. Cllrs also discussed the possibility of installing proximity lighting however it was agreed that this could be held in abeyance until the effect of the change of the on/off times  is clear. Proposed by Cllr Cockerton seconded by Cllr Smith Agreed nem con Action: Cllr Cockerton Burial Ground.  Having reviewed the Burial Ground Fees the Cllrs agreed to raise the fees by circa 2% revision of fees for FY 17/18. Proposed by Cllr Greenwood seconded by Cllr Williams Agreed nem con    Action: Clerk Clerk’s Terms & Conditions of Service.  Having noted the increase in Clerk's salary as recommended by The National Joint Council For Local Government Services Cllrs then reviewed the Clerk's allowances and agreed to raise the allowances in line with inflation for January 2017. Proposed by Cllr Cockerton seconded by Cllr Smith Agreed nem con Grants.  No applications received 70.16  Property Report:  Play Area Safety inspections.  Cllr Knowlson reported that all the equipment was in good working order and confirmed that he would send his monthly reports to the Clerk for filing. Proposed by Cllr Knowlson Seconded by Cllr Smith Agreed nem con    Action:  Cllr Knowlson              Parish Steward Scheme.  Cllr Knowlson reported that he was not aware that he held this responsibility but he will now speak to Cllr Cockerton with regard to his  responsibilities in this area.     Action Cllrs Knowlson & Cockerton. Grass Cutting & Bin Emptying Contract Apr 17- Apr 20.  Cllr Knowlson reported that a meeting had been held on Tuesday 17 January with the new contractors with a view to getting to know the contractor's main players and to identify and sort out any issues on either side prior to the start of the contract on 1 Apr 17.  As a result, of the meeting it would appear that everything is in place ready for the new contractor to start work on 1 April.  The Clerk informed Cllrs that the keys held by the current contractors had been posted back to him. Gilberts Piece Footpath.  Cllrs Smith reported that the wall and the wall lights on the Gilberts Piece Footpath belonged to the school.  However, the school did not have any funds to repair the wall lights.  The Headmaster has indicated that the school may approach the Council for a grant to repair the wall lights.  Cllr Smith informed Cllrs that he had drawn the schools attention to the poor state of repair of the footpath wall. Weed Killing.  Cllr Knowlson reported that the Junior Football Team had marked their playing area using weed killer, which was a safety issue for other users.  The Cllrs directed the Clerk to contact the Junior Football Team in order to ensure that this stops. 1. 71.16 Planning Report:  In the absence of the Chairman of the Planning Cttee the Chairman reported that the following Planning Applications had been submitted since the last meeting: 17/00815/TCA:  For Work to Trees in a Cons Area to Fell 1 Cherry and 2 Sycamore Trees at Sunton House, Sunton. 17/00718/FUL:   First floor west rear extension over existing single storey ground floor. Block up south window and replace existing west window with bi fold doors. Replace kitchen door with window and north window with French doors at 7 Bourne Rise. Having previously considered the applications Cllrs agreed not to raise any objection or comments. Proposed by Cllr Cockerton seconded by Cllr Williams. Action: Clerk 1. 72.16 Highway Matters: A338. The Chairman reported that he had attended a meeting with Wilts Council Highways Principal Technical Officer on Thursday 12 January 17 regarding the Wilts Council proposed surfacing plans for the A338 through  the Village.  The meeting had been very productive and a start date of 2 May 17 was confirmed.  It was agreed that the contractor would send out a mail shot prior to the work commencing explaining what was going to be done and when.  Moreover, a joint flyer from the two Parish Councils is to be sent out with the April edition of the Courier.  There is no doubt that there will be major disruption to the Village but the long-term benefits should far outweigh the negative effects of the short-term distribution.  Action:  Cllrs Cockerton Cllrs Footpath CD 29.  In the absence of Cllr Dennis no report was offered. Highways Sub Committee.  Cllr Greenwood confirmed that his letter remains in draft awaiting the completion of the surfacing plans for the A338 through the Village and input from Collingbourne Kingston PC.   Action:  Cllr Greenwood 1. 73.16  GENERAL MATTERS. Village led Summer Event.  Cllr Knowlson reported that he had spoken to the Cricket Club and others who had muted the holding of a Beer Festival with further detail to be confirmed.  The Cllrs reiterated that the Council was prepared to support but not run the Summer Event. Action:  Cllr Knowlson Emergency Plan.  Due to the Chairman's bout of ill heath, the item has not moved on yet but he anticipates it will be actioned by the end of March. Action:  Cllr Cockerton Burial Ground Lighting.  Cllr Cockerton reported on his hiccups regarding a grant request and finding companies prepared to carry out the work. However, he is confident that a grant can now be secured and will now look again for firms that may be prepared to quote for the work.  It was also agreed that Cllr Smith would investigate the possibility of tapping into the Church electricity supply. Action:  Cllrs Cockerton & Smith Parish Council Elections.  The Clerk reminded Cllrs that the elections are due to be held on Thursday 4 May 2017 and that all Members must stand down and may apply for election by completing and submitting by hand only a proposed and seconded nomination form to the Returning Officer at Wiltshire Council by 4 April 17.  If there is an equal or lower number of candidates than vacancies (11) the candidates will be duly elected unopposed.  The Clerk also informed Cllrs that on request he would supply Electoral Numbers to those persons who propose and second a nominee.  Further details can be found on the Wiltshire website at Unitary and parish elections 2017 - Wiltshire Council  The Chairman informed Cllrs present that he does not intend to stand at the next election. Action:  All Cllrs Complaints.  A complaint had been received by email from a Member of the Public regarding speeding on the Ludgershall Road to which he had replied and copied to the Cllrs. 1. 74.16 Date of Next Meeting:  The date of the next meeting was confirmed as Thursday 11 May 2017 at 7.00 pm.   The meeting closed at 20.40 pm. Signed: Chairman: